Tuesday 3 March 2009

Taking "The Wire" into the English classroom


If you are an English teacher who, like me, have become addicted to HBO's TV series "The Wire" , you have probably, like me, at some point thought "I wish I could use this in the classroom". Our students are experienced TV viewers and so are we, but how can we take advantage of this in our English lessons? I recently attended an interesting and very useful lecture by Janne Stigen Drangsholt (University of Bergen, Norway) on this particular topic. Drangsholt presented "The Wire" as a television series that can be used successfully to teach students about certain aspects of American society. "The Wire" has by some been called the best television series of all time. It is set in Baltimore and at first glance it may seem like just another traditional cop show where the viewer in each episode is presented with a crime that is solved at the end of the very same episode. However, "The Wire" is completely different because the makers have attempted to create a TV drama that tells us the real story. No crimes (completely) solved, (almost) no villains caught, no happy endings. The main issues addressed in the series are corruption, drugs and more or less organised crime. In season four the focus is on the children/ teenagers of West Baltimore. Drugs and guns are parts of their everyday life, but in season four the viewers are also invited to join them in the classroom. Of course, the series is at its best if you can watch an entire season, but if you, the teacher, know the season well enough to introduce it to your students, it can be fruitful to simply look carefully at one episode. In her lecture, Drangsholt used episode 8 of season four, "The corner boys," as an example of such an episode that works on its own if properly introduced. She also suggested a couple of newspaper articles to use in class with the episode. I have made this detailed lesson plan based on the episode where I make use of the articles suggested by Drangsholt. The clip above is from an earlier episode in the same season. If you have any comments on my lesson plan or if you have experiences with using "The Wire" in the classroom, please let me know.

7 comments:

  1. Splendid! I am looking forward to try it out with the students (as long as you or one of the boys next door can fill me in on the context...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog Anne! It is certainly a blog I will follow closely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne, what a hidden treasure this blog is! But no more - I'm listing it in d&b where it belongs. I particularly enjoyed your blog's title - the double meaning adds double pleasure, and I guess you know that I think that is a very good record, too. I1m sorry I can't contribute on your lesson plan, but your students will certainly love having such an interesting matter to study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Wire. It's probably the best TV show ever made. I think, though, that I'd run into trouble if I tried to show it in class--as I recall it's full of language I don't use in my classroom, as well as all sorts of things I could end up in trouble for showing in school.

    It really demands a lot of attention to follow and isn't dumbed down like a lot of what you see on TV. The school scenes showed things you never see highlighted in the media. I've got to buy it on DVD one of these days.

    If you like The Wire, you might also enjoy the NBC series Homicide, made by the same people. Not as good as The Wire, but very good nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it! When it comes to the language in "The Wire", NYC Educator has a very good point. In our ESL classes we try to focus on teaching them about appropriate and inappropriate language, and it would certainly be necessary to address this issue if/ when working on "The Wire". Another challenge for an ESL class is all the grammatical mistakes made in the dialogue in the show... Still, I would like to try it out, but in our school it is probably most appropriate in year three (age 18/19) with pupils who have chosen the subject English social studies.

    I will certainly try to find NBC's Homicide on DVD, thanks so much for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AWESOME!! I became obsessed with "The Wire" over my Christmas break...the whole time thinking, "How can I use this in my classroom??" Your lesson is great! As a teacher in inner city Chicago, I feel my students need to at least receive a taste of this incredible program! What a great blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how exactly do you use it in the classroom. I am teaching The Other Wes Moore to my ESL students and I plan on showing clips of this but beyond this am not sure how to use it

    ReplyDelete