Saturday 30 May 2009

The greatest love story of all time


This week in our English lessons we have worked on the balcony scene from "Romeo and Juliet" and we have also seen Baz Luhrman's film from 1996. Despite the fact that I love the play and know that it is the tragedy in it that makes it so beautiful, I always want the ending to surprise me so that Romeo and Juliet can live happily ever after. Perhaps a similar wish for a happy ending is what made Taylor Swift write the song "Love story". The song is full of a teenager's optimism (or is it?) and my pupils (the girls at least) seem to like it. In a shameless attempt at crowdpleasing I put together these questions about the classic balcony scene and Swift's popular song (some of the Shakespeare questions are stolen from the textbook Targets): Romeo and Juliet/ Love Story The picture is from flickr and shows the "Balcone de Giulietta" (Juliet's balcony) in Verona.

No comments:

Post a Comment