Sunday 4 October 2009

Linking words and phrases


My students have handed in their first papers and I have just started correcting them. Consequently my head is exploding with tips for my students about how they can improve their written language. This year like last year, a lot of my students have good vocabulary and grammar, but one thing that most of them need to work on is how to link the sentences and paragraphs of their texts together. If they could manage to use sentence connectors and linking words and phrases more effectively, their writing would become so much better. The always so useful Exploring English website has some exercises in English where students can practice using conjunctions and linking adverbials: conjunctions and linking adverbials, linking adverbials and sorting linking adverbials. Here are some more useful links on this topic: linking words and phrases and sentence connectors
Image from flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10166396@N07/3212971857

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog. I am an English teacher too, and I got a lot of new ideas now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete